Home Planar Speaker Asylum

Welcome! Need support, you got it. Or share your ideas and experiences.

RE: Active bi-amping of ET LFT-8b

Thanks Dave. I did see your post about adding the shunt capacitor to the woofer, and as you am mystified that Bruce didn't do it himself! I just soldered it across the woofer's plus and minus terminals? I had already assumed I might end up leaving well enough alone with the stock x/o on the panels, as it is so simple there is little to be gained by going active, infact in all likelihood just the opposite. I'll just add the extra capacitor on the amp's input jacks to create the 30Hz high-pass filter Bruce recommends, so the power amp doesn't see the very low frequencies.

I'm assuming no one has substituted a line-level (active OR passive) low-pass x/o in place of the stock speaker-level one in the LFT-8 for the exact reason you state: to duplicate the electrical characteristics of the x/o at line level would be difficult. I will almost certainly not end up using the ET woofer anyway, as the GR Research OB/Dipole Sub is a perfect replacement and superior woofer system anyway. I am also going to give a shot at using the two bass panels of my Tympani T-IV's in place of the ET woofer, crossing-over at the same 180Hz using the Dahlquist DQ-LP1 I already have.

Thanks for your advice Dave, I believe I'll heed it!---Eric.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Sonic Craft  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.