Home Planar Speaker Asylum

Welcome! Need support, you got it. Or share your ideas and experiences.

Yet more show stuff -- NFS Audio

I took up Big Mike's invitation and joined him (Mike Alazard) and his friend Anton Dotson in the NFS audio room -- that's Not For Sale Audio. I'd read about this room before -- the two have been playing music and pouring absinthe for show goers for over 10 years -- but this was my first visit. I was greeted by a spectacular light show:

Mike and Anton, neither of whom actually have Rigelian Spotted Fever:

Around the corner, Mike was spinning disks on what turned out to be a very beautiful pair of Gunned 3.6R's and of course I had to have a listen:

Mike has a dilemma now -- he loves the sound of his modified Citation II, but it can't drive the Maggies at high level. So the system was sounding stressed on full orchestra. But when things quieted down and individual instruments played, the sound was in a few words:

Remarkable
Superb
Delicious
Luscious
Mellifluous
Astounding

And I promise you that was without the benefit of the absinthe! At one point, the ribbons were playing some triangles (or was it a xylophone?), and the sound was so ethereally liquid and perfect that the woman who was sitting next to me and I exchanged glances -- nothing had to be said.

I'm not knocking the exhibitors -- it's hard to get good sound under show conditions and many of the demo tracks were awful -- but after listening to floor after floor of let's be honest frequently terrible audio, it was wonderful to hear some of the best sound I heard at the show, the kind of sound that has kept me listening for all of these years.

I could have stayed there all day, listening and enjoying the vibes. As it was, I heard some of the best sound of the show, the kind that has magic to it.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  McShane Design  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.