Home Planar Speaker Asylum

Welcome! Need support, you got it. Or share your ideas and experiences.

RE: "a cancellation effect of this resonance as you increase the length of the driver" ...

I posted a Neo8pdr 9 segment line array from a DIY forum that was done with better equipment and there is nothing remaining of the cavity resonance. It should still be on the asylum. The forum is defunct so I can't post the notes from the projects Yes, the use of a notch filter produces a dip in the line array. The 12khz resonance is entirely gone but the residual portion at the onset of the peak requires more distance to dampen.

The resonance peak does get cancelled at a distance, most of it is gone by 1 m. I already knew to expect it from other's line array projects so never used a notch filter. As you can see in the FR plot the combined drivers are not showing anything. The plot I posted is the LR4 symmetrical at 5khz. I got very similar results with 1st order at 6-8 khz though a tiny bit of the 8khz peak is visible in the combined speaker I will see if I can find a trace, but the 1st order work was done 5 years ago. The LR4 and B3 crossovers were from nearly 10 years ago. So I can redo measurements to show you how it works but it very obviously does.

The FR at the listening seat is not showing any need for a notch filter. You should not view the resonance as an inherent part of the driver's FR but as a noise with its particular behavior. At normal listening distances of 2-3 m there is no need to pay any attention to it. Definitely no notch filter.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Western Glow Tube Service  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: "a cancellation effect of this resonance as you increase the length of the driver" ... - Satie 19:38:47 06/06/16 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.