Home Planar Speaker Asylum

Welcome! Need support, you got it. Or share your ideas and experiences.

RE: "a cancellation effect of this resonance as you increase the length of the driver" ...

The area of interest has very low resolution on that plot, and the primary peak (around 8khz) is not the driver cavity resonance.

Regardless, I still think I would apply the appropriate notch filter to all the drivers. The cavity resonance is inherent in the transducer construction and it can't be "averaged" away by acoustic "coupling." If you move your microphone closer you will start to see it. I know they allude to this coupling "alleviation" characteristic in the driver datasheet, but I'm not buying that's the most preferable implementation.

Anyways, extending on your hypothesis......if you were to apply the 12khz notch filter to the array configuration, you would create a dip/anomaly in the free-field response, yes/no? I don't believe that to be the case. I think the measured acoustic response would look even better/flatter. And if you moved your microphone close it would look even better/flatter too. Win/win.

Cheers,

Dave.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Atma-Sphere Music Systems, Inc.  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.