Home Planar Speaker Asylum

Welcome! Need support, you got it. Or share your ideas and experiences.

RE: Maggies and acoustic panels

So sorry to hear about your flood. What a horrible moment that must have been to find water in your room! I had that once in a different house when a builder who was working on the kitchen upstairs left water running all night. Ended up filing a huge insurance claim and sending a bunch of gear back for repair. Not much fun.

The platforms under the 3.7i's seem to open up the speakers and the sound flows more effortlessly with a certain nimbleness to it. They just seem lighter on their feet, faster, more detail, and more clarity. But not lean by any means. Behind the speakers I've got a pair of REL G2's that are not spiked and not on plinths. I've tried the subs on spikes and it just wrecked the sound. They became dry and thin and the decay in the notes was sort of chopped off.

Also, the rack I'm using is a Merrill 450 lb cast iron monstrosity that is also spiked. On each shelf, I've got another 2" maple slab under each component on Herbie's Tenderfeet to isolate the slabs from the rack. The rack, being cast iron, has a ring sound and the shelves are slippery but the Tenderfeet with maple have eliminated both those qualities plus I've got all that weight for stability. My TT is rock solid on the top shelf and I've painstakingly leveled the platter with the floor spikes of the rack.

Your right about hyping up. Sometimes its like being smacked in the face with a drum stick, or I've even found myself gripping the couch during a huge orchestral crescendo and holding on for dear life to get through it. Intense but I love it! But then on more quiet pieces, the textures and delicacy of the notes are just sumptuous.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Signature Sound   [ Signature Sound Lounge ]

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: Maggies and acoustic panels - tedtag 02:09:23 06/04/16 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.