Home Planar Speaker Asylum

Welcome! Need support, you got it. Or share your ideas and experiences.

RE: Maggies and acoustic panels

Guess I got hooked on near field because my first real listening room was pretty small. That's when I got into Quads and really enjoyed listening close. I do love the detail and experience of being immersed in the music with near field listening. With the Maggie set up in the pictures, I've got the back of my couch about 18" from the rear wall with the speakers out from the front wall about 5 1/2 feet and the listening seat about 7 1/2 feet from the front center of the panels.

The center image appears to float just in front of the front wall about 3' or 4' or so behind the plane of the speakers on most vocal recordings. I'm also getting a pretty wide soundstage with images several feet outside the speakers.

The floor is poured concrete with wall to wall wool carpet. Years ago I got ahold of a Mapleshade catalog and bought a pair of maple amp stands because I was afraid I'd burn my house down with giant tube amps sitting on the carpet. Then after numerous conversations with Pierre Sprey, the founder and head engineer of Mapleshade, he convinced me to put plinths under my speakers as well. I have since tried my speakers with no spikes, just Mye Stand spikes, spiked plinths with no Mye Stand spikes, and spiked plinths with Mye Stand spikes. By a huge margin, the double spiked plinth set up in the picture easily beat every other option. Its an amazingly lively, detailed, but very full sound.

The couch platform was the final frontier. I mostly did that to get my ears more aligned with the center of the speakers since they were now a good 8" off the floor. But it also seemed to just help disconnect me along with everything else, from the walls, floor, and ceiling, of the room. The effect of all of it is a feeling of being immersed in the music, in about the 3rd row, with detailed images that seem to just resonate out of nowhere and float in space.

This set up is probably not technically correct by any means, but I'm enjoying it and listening sessions have become extremely addictive. If I'm out of town or just don't have time to listen to music, I can feel withdrawal setting in after a couple of days. By 3 days, with no music, I'm a mess.
I've attached a link to the Mapleshade plinths.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Parts Connexion  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.