Home Planar Speaker Asylum

Welcome! Need support, you got it. Or share your ideas and experiences.

RE: Tympani T-IV

There is no new technology in the 3.7 so far as I know. It is just a more refined and more coherent speaker then its predecessors.

The TIV and IVa are in a different class. They make 3.x models seem a bit toy like. The appropriate comparison is the 20.1 or 20.7.

Structurally, the separate mid/tweeter panel makes for an advantage in clarity that is very significant compared to any single unit speaker.

The investment in maintenance is peanuts compared to what you get. The potential of the TIV IVa speaker with mods and bracing is for a top notch speaker comparable to a flagship model from one of the well regarded high end names and likely exceeding them in some aspects. The only real missing ingredient in a fully tweaked out TIV is the bottom octave extension and dynamics. In a larger room it needs subwoofers.

The midrange is not as good as that of the 20.1 and 20.7 but can be replaced with a line of BG Neo8 drivers as I have done. The crossover can be modified to make better use of the Neo drivers and relieve the tweeter from some burden. With a linear phase 1st order crossover and time alignment of the drivers performance and coherence is amazing In this way I have managed to obtain a speaker that competes well with some of the Stereophile Class A full range speakers like the Focal Nova Utopia, the Magico Q5 the Wilson WATT/Puppy based designs, the Revel Studio and Salon and the larger Vandersteens, .

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Herbie's Audio Lab  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.