Home Planar Speaker Asylum

Welcome! Need support, you got it. Or share your ideas and experiences.

RE: Maggies and acoustic panels

I had four 6' by 2' by 2.5" (Roxul) panels hung on the front wall of the listening space with my previous speakers which were boxed monopoles. It improved the clarity, imaging, and staging.

When I brought in the 2.5R, I had a heck of a time trying to get things to sound right. There was a weird 'phasing' going on where the outer soundstage was big, wide, and open, and the centre was very flat. A friend that owned Mags suggested to remove the panels, and wouldn't you know it... the staging and imaging became more cohesive.

I put these four panels horizontally up high near the ceiling to help mitigate the rooms reverb.

My space is a a 1150sqft condo, with the living space being about 900 of it, and 11' ceilings. Most of the surfaces are hard and reflective and when the music gets turned up you can really hear the room start to dominate. I had considered QRD for the front wall, but for me a factory made option is cost prohibitive and I don't have a space to DIY, so recently we purchased two 5' high majesty palms and I tried these in various locations near the speakers:

First was against the front wall and between the speakers; this shrunk the stage in all dimensions.

Then between the plane of the speakers; better, it soften the hardness of the room without the deleterious effect above.

Along the front wall at the on-axis point of the rear wave; not so great.

On the outside of each speaker, perhaps a foot ahead of it's plane; quite nice, brought a nice shimmer to the ribbon and widened the stage

Just today I picked up another two palms and will these between the speakers to see if there's an additive effect.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Crux Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: Maggies and acoustic panels - steven d 18:04:46 05/24/16 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.