Home Planar Speaker Asylum

Welcome! Need support, you got it. Or share your ideas and experiences.

RE: ESL 63 blinkin' and poppin' (ping Kentaja... anyone?)

Usually the polyurethane glue that holds the stators degrades and the stators loosen at the edges causing arcing which will burn holes in the membrane which will eventually rip. What I did was to immediatley turn off the speakers and reglued the stators. Usually you can do this with the panels in place. But you can take the panels out and disassemble and glue.

This is how I did it in place. Used thread near where the stators unglued through the small holes then pulled the stators in place with pulleys and weights. The pulleys are used to change the pull from horizontal to vertical. Then used 3M marine adhesive which is a polyurethane glue applied with a toothpick. Let it setupt then removed the thread.

This fix has lasted approximatly 15 years. But I did have to do the same on other panels over the years. The bass panels tend to unglue first.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Signature Sound   [ Signature Sound Lounge ]

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: ESL 63 blinkin' and poppin' (ping Kentaja... anyone?) - fredtr 17:15:12 05/20/16 (1)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.