Home Planar Speaker Asylum

Welcome! Need support, you got it. Or share your ideas and experiences.

ESL 63 blinkin' and poppin' (ping Kentaja... anyone?)

Powered on, one of my Quads started to make a popping noise almost every second. No sign of any panel sparks, but sure enough, lifting the plastic cap off the base at the back revealed the LED blinking in time with the popping.

Powered the Quad off for about half an hour. Back on now, and seems to be back to normal. No popping sound, though the LED light is blinking every 5 seconds. My other Quad blinks every 15 seconds.

I'll keep an eye (ear?) on things, but is this is sign I may need to do some maintenance?

Many many years ago, with purchases and help from Kent, I've replaced in separate instances a panel, and EHT board. But the bad panel symptom was a pop and spark that I would hear and see in time with bass notes. (Yes, Quads have bass. And yes, not "base"). The EHT board failure symptom was a volume drop and the LED was barely coming on.

This is the first time I've had a continuous "popping" and "blinking" symptom which, for now at least, seems to have disappeared.

Of course the timing is such that here in Canada we are coming up to a holiday long weekend. I really hoped it would be spent listening, rather than pulling out the DVM and soldering iron.

Appreciate any input as to what I can check for, in the event I start dismantling things over the weekend.

I'll refrain from playing any music with hopes of some inmate feedback.

Cheers!

Jonesy

"I know just enough to get into trouble. But not enough to get out of it."

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Sonic Craft  

Topic - ESL 63 blinkin' and poppin' (ping Kentaja... anyone?) - Jonesy 19:40:10 05/19/16 (12)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.