Home Planar Speaker Asylum

Welcome! Need support, you got it. Or share your ideas and experiences.

RE: Bi-amping MMG's

I had very good results biamping MMG's (Early version). I was concerned about Amplifier DC offset getting into the Bass panel and the QR tweeter. The most common reason this happens is when an asymmetric signal clips. Of course when bi-amping using a crossover the likelihood of clipping is greatly reduced. As for QR tweeter protection, using a steeper crossover 24dB L-R helps a lot more than you know. And I never had an issue. For the Bass panel I used a little DSP Dynamic Compression to prevent clipping with fairly high threshold. I was using an 85Hz High pass on the base panels as the crossed over to the subs.

I wired the Biamp MMG's to a 4 pole Speakon connector, used an external crossover for a while and then converted to Crown XTI2000 power amps(2) with built in DSP. Pretty foolproof setup.

My final setup was a a 950Hz LR 24dB crossover, a very small delay to the bass panel, a little HF role off above 10kHz and a little Low Q presence dip at 2.2KHz. The tweeters were in, I kept the MMG's tilted back and at a 45 degree angle pretty close to equilateral triangle placement using the tweeters as reference.

Final impulse response at listening reference position was very good.

Speaker's 1/3 octave pink noise response has no more than a 2dB variation from 400Hz up for each speaker and speaker matching with broad band 250 5kHz pink noise was a tight 0.5 dB.

After 11 years or so one of the bass panels had a minor delam leading to a 260 Hz 25% distortion (only at that frequency) - I restored the crossover and still use these in an auxiliary room.

"The hardest thing of all is to find a black cat in a dark room, especially if there is no cat" - Confucius

Edits: 05/18/16

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Parts Connexion  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: Bi-amping MMG's - BigguyinATL 08:24:57 05/18/16 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.