Home Planar Speaker Asylum

Welcome! Need support, you got it. Or share your ideas and experiences.

RE: My new Maggie .7s and my SVS SB-1000 sub.... not too great

I would have to agree about the HPF, it is very worthwhile to keep the lowest stuff out of (especially) the Maggies. Measure and you will see absolutely why. Listen after the HPF install and all becomes "clear" in several ways.

The low freqs suck power from the amps. So not doing that is an advantage to the amps. The Maggies don't handle the lowest freqs graciously, so not subjecting them to that is a sonic and perhaps even a life-extending courtesy.

The HPF does not have to be at all sophisticated to do a noticeable job, but quality does matter of course, since all your music will be going through it. Compromises...you just want to make the upside a lot better than the downside.

Better two smaller subs than one large one (for the same overall $$, say), for smoothness of response. Very "nodey" with just one, but that may not matter so much in reality, for a single listener.

Another option is to use one large high-powered sub as the "pressurizer/driver" for the LFs, and another smaller lower-powered one (like the SB-1000) as the "smoother". That's what I do, it works just fine. It didn't seem good on paper, and I was reluctant, but the reality was completely different than my thoughts... Edit: the two subs should be opposite each other in the room, diagonally or on opposing walls, for this method to work best.

Edits: 05/11/16

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Sonic Craft  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.