Home Planar Speaker Asylum

Welcome! Need support, you got it. Or share your ideas and experiences.

Acoustat Repair Upgrade

I posted here asking for assistance for a friend whose Acoustat speaker had an issue. I got help for him from here and promised an update.

So it appears that he got great advice (at no cost) and a free inspection, but has repairs to try himself. Thanks again to everyone.

Here is his complete note to me today:

. . . to pick up the story:

I was contacted by Roy Esposito, the Acoustat tech in Florida as someone had cancelled an appointment. So I shipped my interfaces about a month ago. They were tested and could definitely use servicing as they are only putting out 4,000 volts instead of the recommended 5,000 volts. This 20% drop in bias can cause the bass (from the sub-woofers) to dominate. I have noticed this on some recordings.

However, there was nothing else wrong with the interfaces. They were shipped backed to me with no work done and at no charge. I was advised to switch the interfaces to confirm what Roy told me, which I have done. The occasional static is completely gone but one of the two panels in the same unit is silent. This tells me that a loose wire has now become completely disconnected.

Roy has advised me what I need to do, but it's a big project. The unit must be disassembled. The fabric has to be removed and the wooden frame of the sound panel taken apart. As there are no screws or nails -- it is stapled together -- this will be a hassle to take apart and reassemble. Then I have to determine where the problem is (with the very thin wiring). It could be a break or a kink. It may require using a flashlight, and I may have to carefully cut away some of the plastic honeycomb (which is over 1/2" thick) to repair it. If the problem is at the sound panel itself, there is no solder; there are no connectors. The end of the wire will need to carefully be pushed into the sound panel, which is a sheet of gel.

I'm not sure when I'll start this project.

Rick

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Kimber Kable  

Topic - Acoustat Repair Upgrade - HarlemAirShaft 16:39:54 05/10/16 (3)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.