Home Planar Speaker Asylum

Welcome! Need support, you got it. Or share your ideas and experiences.

RE: Pair of MMGs for Center Channel?

Hmmm, I find that feeding the center channel audio to the L/R speakers (i.e. "stereo" front) actually anchors the audio to the display better than using a center channel speaker. Maggie fronts; I find they "focus" plenty fine, contrary to what "some" say about planars in general. And by "anchor", I mean it seems like the dialog is coming from the display screen heads.

But I do use a center speaker, a pretty decent (and large/heavy!) one. As you say, what that gets you is much better flexibility in level adjustment (I hate to miss an instant of dialog, and not all actors speak clearly, or is dialog mixed that well sometimes during action...), but it also gets you greater definition and clarity. But not "anchoring" per se, you can get that if the center is behind a (PJ) screen, but you can't do that with a Maggie center, or with a display of course.

IOW I put up with the slight decrease in anchoring with the center speaker for all the other advantages. Some say that if you place the center speaker *over* the display it increases the sense of anchoring, somehow the brain/ears create the illusion better if it's over your sitting head's position. I have done that before with a "lesser" center speaker, but quite frankly though, I don't think there's a "good" center speaker that you could easily physically place over a display without a significant structure to hold it all. I've never seen that with what *I* would call a good center speaker.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Amplified Parts  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.