Home Planar Speaker Asylum

Welcome! Need support, you got it. Or share your ideas and experiences.

RE: My new Maggie .7s and my SVS SB-1000 sub.... not too great

Just IME and my preference, but I like sealed subs for music. They are tighter, and I don't know the proper audiophile term, but they seem to have less bass "inertia". IOW the notes sound to rise and decay faster with sealed, whereas with ported they seem to "hang" a bit longer.

Anyway, I use sealed subs for HT and music, maximum bass output was not a priority. That's why I got an SVS sub that offers the ported or sealed option, I wanted to compare modes as I had never had a ported sub before. SVS almost *never* demos their systems with sealed subs, which they have a few of, like the SB-1/2000 are. You get significantly more bass output with ported, and that's what they demo, because that's what some (most?) people want, especially for HT, which let's face it, is the real $$ market.

Use your main speakers to give the bass tone, use the subs to give the base/foundation/impact, speaking of music and not LFE.

[ FWIW, my (sealed mode) subs are SVS PC13-Ultra and ACI Titan II for music. The Titan was too pretty to take out of the room :), and placed diagonally opposite the SVS in the room it makes a large difference in smoothness and bass quality, even though it only has a small fraction of the SVS's amplifier capability. IOW when going for bass *smoothness* of FR in a room, I would choose two smaller subs rather than one large one, far superior results, more annoying wiring though (for music, at least LFE only uses one cable). Another ACI was not an option here as they were gone... (: ]

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Atma-Sphere Music Systems, Inc.  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: My new Maggie .7s and my SVS SB-1000 sub.... not too great - cfraser 12:59:33 05/06/16 (1)
    • Yes! - grantv 13:08:34 05/06/16 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.