Home Planar Speaker Asylum

Welcome! Need support, you got it. Or share your ideas and experiences.

RE: My new Maggie .7s and my SVS SB-1000 sub.... not too great

Here's my set-up, which may or may not be helpful for you given that my room is so different, but:

Small listening room- 11' w x 13' long but rear wall opens to living room. Speakers are MMG's on stands which raise them about 6" off the carpeted floor. Speakers are about 4.5' from front wall and toed-in slightly. I run two inexpensive 8" Pioneer powered subs- Andrew Jones designed. the subs are about 6" from the front wall and about 1.5 ' in from the side walls. Crossover is around 55hz. I set the volume knob on the subs so that, as another poster said, I "feel" the bass is there, rather than have it obtrusive. The MMG's put out a surprising amount of mid bass and sound pretty darn good without the subs. Unless you listen to organ music, or other recordings with truly low bass, or LOUD bass-heavy pop music- I think subwoofers are really not essential. I tried the Pioneers because they are so modestly priced.

I'll be experimenting with diffusers on each side of the window. I added lots of 1" felt dots to each corner of the window which helps tame the glass. Curtains are not an option.

Two subs are definitely better than one, IMO.

FYI: Electronics are upgraded MFA, tube. Speaker cables are currently DIY magnet wire- which sounds terrific, and as good, if not better, than some much more expensive stuff that I've run.

Hope this helps a bit.

It took a fair amount of experimentation, but I am quite happy with the integration of the subs with the MMGs.

Edits: 05/05/16

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Parts Connexion  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: My new Maggie .7s and my SVS SB-1000 sub.... not too great - paul3 15:19:28 05/05/16 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.