Home Planar Speaker Asylum

Welcome! Need support, you got it. Or share your ideas and experiences.

RE: My new Maggie .7s and my SVS SB-1000 sub.... not too great

Yes, Maggies further out into the room, 5' from the front wall isn't too far...defintely not close to the walls. Sub not in the exact corner, at least 6"-1' from walls if possible. You don't want too much "reinforcement", it will sound mushy/flabby.

50-60Hz is probably OK, I started with that, but after I measured, 40Hz @ -24dB was much better here [1.6s, SVS sub, don't recall the sub model (it doesn't say!), but the "big one"]. Set the sub input level much lower than you (probably) think you should set it. You shouldn't hear the sub per se, but you should know it's there, providing a base to the bass that you can sense/feel. You don't want to get bass fatigue, it does grate on the senses after a while, whereas tight and defined is the goal, not the "volume" of bass. Don't forget that without amp input filters, the Maggies are reproducing (some of) the lower bass too (though not that well sub ~50Hz by my measurements...).

With one sub, you are going to get a very small sitting window where it sounds good. That's the nature of low bass, nothing you can do about that except get more subs, but even that gets a bit awkward in the analog domain with more gadgets.

Consider the ~$100 "investment" so you can measure instead of "guess". Might open up a new field of interest, or frustrate the hell out of you... I really doubt it'll save you any time in the long run, regardless. But it will improve results, and at least you'll know. :)

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Signature Sound   [ Signature Sound Lounge ]

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: My new Maggie .7s and my SVS SB-1000 sub.... not too great - cfraser 14:07:24 05/05/16 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.