Home Planar Speaker Asylum

Welcome! Need support, you got it. Or share your ideas and experiences.

My new Maggie .7s and my SVS SB-1000 sub.... not too great

Setup:

Bluesound Node streaming Tidal
Mod Squad Line Drive passive Preamp
Bryston 4B-ST power amp
Magnepan .7s
SVS SB-1000 sub
Bluejean cable interconnects.

Hello everyone. I just completed my setup that I built entirely around my brand new Maggie .7s. I am new to real audio and my comprehension of the science is rudimentary. I will start out with my question. I am not thrilled with how the SVS sounds with the Maggie .7s. I want to try and figure out what's wrong. Could it be the settings on the SVS, or the placement of the Maggies and the SVS, or is the SVS just the wrong sub for the job and does it need to be upgraded?

I built the setup around the Maggies. The only component that I had going in was the SVS which I had with some nice mini Silverline Minuet Supreme bookshelves and the two sounded really good together. Then I went over to Audiolab - an authorized Maggie dealer and demo'd the .7s and was wowed. I thought that I was all-set with using a Yamaha receiver when I read about the power-hunger. I was on a real budget, so I found the used Bryston ($995), then the Node to stream the Tidal at 24bit (demo $165) and nearly tapped I asked about a cheap preamp and was pointed to passives and found the Mod Squad ($200). Then the cables came along via Bluejeans.

I am finding that the SVS sounds mushy and too warm. It also seems that it might not be keeping up with the Maggies. It's slower than the Maggie's sound. Finally, the detail that the
.7s provide are being lost underneath the SVSs more spread-out bass.

The room it's in is 14X9x40 (living room into kitchen). The SVS is in the corner placed a few inches away from one .7 to it's side. The other .7 is about 8-9 feet away. The SVS is connected to the preamp with 30ft Bluejeans interconnects.

The SVS settings I though sounded the best to me were at 50-60 hz. The Maggies are about a foot off the wall and the SVS is about 2 feet off the corner.

I would love to know what your thoughts and advice are. If you do respond please keep in mind that I don't understand very much in terms of the why but I am good with following orders.

If it means it's the SVS then is there an upgrade (used or new) under $800 that would really make the difference?

I am very much obliged

Adam

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Signature Sound   [ Signature Sound Lounge ]

Topic - My new Maggie .7s and my SVS SB-1000 sub.... not too great - Rodcarew29 12:33:47 05/05/16 (25)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.