Home Planar Speaker Asylum

Welcome! Need support, you got it. Or share your ideas and experiences.

RE: Another wall thread!!

The 20.x do perform better with more distance to the walls and good depth to the room. It mostly depends on how much bass content is in your music and how loud you listen. For a "reasonable" listener (not me) that does play loud organ music on occasion, a sub will be desirable. .For someone like me, I manage without because my TIV/Neo8 are in a medium room 17X20 and I finagled as much bass as I can get by placement and wall loading to capture the room's deepest bass modes.
My room would suit a 20.x perfectly and would not need a sub. At 20X30 you are good to near reasonable, but the speaker will not fill the room with loud deep bass - some will respond by raising volume and start burning tweeters and even a mid. Then a sub is not just desirable but necessary.
To get an idea of what you need use an spl meter to measure peak output (peak hold setting) in your room when you are playing at satisfying levels as high as you would like. If your peaks are in the 100 db or less range then you will do fine without a sub, If there is bass content going to 110 db at your seat then you will want not one sub but two. 1. because the speaker will bottom out, 2. your amp won't keep up. 3. you will start burning drivers or amps or both.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Herbie's Audio Lab  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.