Home Planar Speaker Asylum

Welcome! Need support, you got it. Or share your ideas and experiences.

RE: Re-doing 3.7i crossovers ...

I don't have a large enough sample. The Wood Framed MMGs I heard were terrific. And easy on the eyes.

My goal would be to RID myself of the MDF in any form. Wood is a natural composite, but I may go the REAL fringe route and use PlyBoo. This is BAMBOO PLYWOOD. It is fairly expensive and some of it only comes in a 6 foot sheet. I've experimented with small samples and it is dense and difficult to machine. You MUST have extra sharp tooling. Bamboo is FULL of silicon which is harder than a whores heart and EATS tooling.

Given careful layout, I think a Single 4'x6' sheet will be able to reframe a pair of 1.6 panels.
However, I'm thinking of NO room for crossovers will be than be line level. Also, instead of metal
L brackets holding the panel to the base, I'll use ball or roller bearings to couple the panel TO the floor and only 'locate' the panel to the base with NON-LOAD BEARING methods. The panel back suppor will be a triangulated truss type arrangement. Such divisiion of area creates short coupling of great rigidity and minimal weight.

I'm including a 'concept' drawing which is NOT current. I'm 3 generations PAST this drawing which I used only to SEE it for further mental modeling. Ratios of sizes is important to diminish IN PANEL standing waves. That's part of the evolution of the idea.
Too much is never enough

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Sonic Craft  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: Re-doing 3.7i crossovers ... - pictureguy 00:51:54 04/16/16 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.