Home Planar Speaker Asylum

Welcome! Need support, you got it. Or share your ideas and experiences.

Seeking advice on effective wall diffusion?

In my new house, the 'listening room' doesn't seem to have any issues (like room-mode anomalies) but I do notice a lack of soundstage depth, compared to what I had in my last listening room.

Just to fill you in:

* the previous room was 27' long x 17' wide and I had my Maggies 5' off the front wall (which was the short wall). And I sat about 12' away from the panels.

* the current room is only 19' wide and 12' deep - and the Maggies are on the long wall. I sit about 8.5' away from the panels.

* unfortunately, no room re-organisation is possible - this is not a 'man cave'! :-((

Now, in the last room, I was able to substantially increase the depth of sound stage by putting some 'Room Tunes' against the front wall, in line with the reflection of the ribbon 'ray' from the front wall to my ears (ribbons were on the inside - to keep them well away from the side walls - so this was a pretty simple exercise).

In other words, diffusing the ribbon reflections gave better soundstage depth.

So I am wondering whether putting some sort of diffusion on the front wall of the new listening room ... would increase my depth of soundstage?

To give you an understanding of the room, here are a couple of pics.

As you can see, the front wall is sloped - this was not by choice but forced upon us by Victoria's Building Regulations. However, this is not necessarily a bad thing - as I mentioned, I don't seem to get any 'bad' things happening. :-))

One WAF-acceptable way of putting diffusion on the front wall, between the speakers, is to put some almost parallel, say bamboo, rods - maybe 5' long, 1" wide and 1" apart? (and painted wall colour), on the sloping front wall, going from the benchtop upwards and sitting maybe 2" off the wall.

I could make this up and then prop it temporarily in place, while I see if it does increase soundstage depth or not - however, this would be a fair bit of effort - so I'm interested in hearing what y'all might have to say about whether it might do some good ... or not.

Thanks,

Andy

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Parts Connexion  

Topic - Seeking advice on effective wall diffusion? - andyr 05:00:35 04/06/16 (45)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.