Home Planar Speaker Asylum

Welcome! Need support, you got it. Or share your ideas and experiences.

Thanks for that.

I have decided to buy the Perreaux in time for next Summer. [I live in SE Australia inland in Canberra (ACT) nestled into the Great Dividing Range, and it's Autumn now. We are in sight of the extensive Winter snow fields, known as the Snowy Mountains.]

I will use each of the two SS power amps I now have to drive the clam-shelled push-pull driver subs. That is, one 100w channel per bass driver. But, out of phase with that amp's other channel. I hope I will have enough level to allow the system to play loud enough for Beethoven and Berlioz. And, will live with any limitations on later louder works.

By Summer the subs will be built and tested to determine the Linkwitz Transform settings needed for each sub. A mono LT box for each sub - plus a 1/3rd octave for room Eq notching out peaks - in front of each bass/subs power amps.

I expect I may need different knee points to get a smooth blend, as I will start with asymmetric slopes 1st High Pass and 3rd LP at 150hz.

If I find I do need to push the LPass down a bit, I'm hoping that the
1/3rd-octave-eq boxes can help with any lump in the interim, until I change the knee points for the bass.

That will take some time because the active xover I'm using in the bass has 2nd order slopes and fixed freqs, which might have to be changed by changing R's. I'd have to change the 1st order LPass input R and C on the bass amps in any case.

Warmest

Tim Bailey

Skeptical Measurer & Audio Scrounger

Edits: 04/05/16

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  VH Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.