Home Planar Speaker Asylum

Welcome! Need support, you got it. Or share your ideas and experiences.

1.7i's arriving soon to my large listening room

Congrats. You're about to embark on a journey with the 1.7i's which is both challenging and rewarding. With time and patience I'm sure you'll achieve the wonderful Maggie sound that you like with placements.
I'd like to put in my 2 cents on the amp. I started out with the MG12's paired with a Rotel amp and like you, I was weary that the amp is not up to par. After much research I upgraded the amp with a Bryston 4Bsst2, exactly the amp you are considering. To my surprise it was not a good match in that the sound was thin and inorganic. In fact, there are qualities that I missed when the MG12's were driven by the humble Rotel. I know the Magnaplan people use the Bryston's a lot at shows but personally I don't think it brings out the best in the Maggies.
I have then moved on to the 1.7's. It's now paired with a Mark Levinson 431 with some good sound. I am selling the ML to replace it with a John Curl designed Parasound A21. It goes for $2,500 new, probably lower if you can find one on audiogon.
Hope this would help. Happy listening!

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Crux Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • 1.7i's arriving soon to my large listening room - Mag4Life 19:37:23 03/20/16 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.