Home Planar Speaker Asylum

Welcome! Need support, you got it. Or share your ideas and experiences.

dust covers

First off, I'm not an engineer so take my points with that perspective.

In all my years in this hobby I've mostly played my tts with the cover removed. One exception was a Kuzma Stabi which had a hinged, very heavy oak frame with a plate glass top. Otherwise I agree with G Squared.

While a dust cover may seem like it protects the arm/cartridge/cantilever from air-borne vibrations, I suspect it may instead be a transmitter for them. Being larger and more flexible than the arm/cartridge/cantilever my guess is it may "gather in" vibrations which it then transfers mechanically to the whole turntable assembly. But I can't reference any studies on this.

All I can say for certain is moving my table out of a corner improved the clarity, and even that experience was with the Kuzma with the very heavy lid.

Said another way, look at all the high end tables from $5K to $100K or more. How many of them include a dust cover intended to be left in place while playing?

"The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing, if you can fake that you've got it made." Groucho

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  VH Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.