Home Planar Speaker Asylum

Welcome! Need support, you got it. Or share your ideas and experiences.

RE: Sound stage

Don't do the laminate if you intend to keep using the room for listening. If you don't like the rug as it is just put an area rug on top of it. If it has a noisy loud pattern on it then the rest of the old rug will never take your eye's attention. I must say the MAe West boudoir aesthetic is quite unique for a listening room. Two thumbs up..

I see that you found a solution - as in play recordings with actual stereo in them rather than panned mono. Lots of classical and quite a bit of jazz is recorded in true stere mixed out of 2 or 3 channel masters. Very little pop is recorded that way, definitely none of the studio product. Some pop live performances were recorded in real stereo, but most took the feeds off the guitar amps and vocal mics rather than record from in front of the speakers in the venue..

You may be able to get a better soundstage with tweeters in and a rather sharp toe in. IIRC I cam across a statement that they setup the XO to time align on tweeters in for the 3.7i, rather than tweeters out and face forwards as in the 3.6, but I am not sure if that is true. If it is then that orientation should provide a better soundstage and more precise more saturated and bigger images and also allow you to extend the speaker's spread somewhat wider. I would suggest you check FR after you are satisfied with the spatial performance and decide what to do from that point if the FR is not quite right since there are many ways to gently EQ via cabling, tube rolling and tweeter attenuators or chokes (if too bright(, but there are not likely to be a great many placements to provide an optimal spatial performance.

I would suggest that for every position you try play a mono track before you start listening to stereo, and make sure you have a stable mono image first. Use the fake ficus to try and fix it if the mono image is not stable at all freq or pulls to one side....

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Schiit Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.