Home Planar Speaker Asylum

Welcome! Need support, you got it. Or share your ideas and experiences.

1.7i's arriving soon to my large listening room

Greetings and thanks for reading this:

I'm new to the forum and new to the audio world, but excited about a pair of 1.7i's arriving shortly. I'll be driving them with a Rogue Sphinx v2, with digital source material coming from an Oppo 105D.

The system will live in our large LR and will need to be compatible with... living. Room is 22' wide, 24-27 feet deep. As currently configured, the prime listening spot is 12 feet from speakers, with speakers separated by 12-14 feet, 3 feet from the back wall which is 70% glass. Ceiling is 9 to 15 feet (wood). The floors are hardwood with a central rug. One side wall is sheet-rock, one is actually stone, surrounding a fireplace. The wall 12-15 feet behind the listening position is complex with an alcove, etc.

As you might gather, this is a large and very acoustically live room. I don't really have an option to employ diffuser or sound-absorbing treatments. (My wife was a gem to accept the Maggies that are nearly as tall as her!). Most of what I've read about Maggie placement(including their website) emphasizes optimal soundstage imaging in a near field configuration. I haven't read much about larger rooms or wider speaker separations.

I have a few questions for the forum and appreciate the experience of this group. 1) Do you think that the configuration I'm proposing would tend to washout the soundstage? 2) What about the effect of the very live acoustics on the sound of the 1.7i's? 3) Is the Cardas placement method useful for the room I'm describing?

Finally, I'm sensitive to the possibility that some will think my amp choice is insufficient. The Rogue produces 200 wpc at 4 ohms, and the tubed pre-amp seems well regarded. I've looked into used Bryston 4BSST2 on Audiogon, but the entry price is a bit rich for me (2.5X the new Sphinx, plus the cost for a pre-amp).

Thanks very much in advance!

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Kimber Kable  

Topic - 1.7i's arriving soon to my large listening room - DougAFC 08:45:43 03/19/16 (12)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.