Home Planar Speaker Asylum

Welcome! Need support, you got it. Or share your ideas and experiences.

Made the downgrade from the MGIIIA to MMG today.

Normally one wouldn't be excited about going to a smaller speaker, but after all its still a Magnepan. The listening room just wasn't big enough to accommodate my IIIA and there was some spousal desire to get something smaller. The used MMGs arrived today. Got them setup and ran them for a few hours. Initial impressions are pretty good. The sound-stage is smaller, they still fill the room but lack the presence of the big panels.The ribbon tweeter is missed but I was surprised at how good the MMG sounded.

The only modification is going to be some different stands, I would like them vertical and a little bit more toddler resilient. I am also thinking about refinishing the side rails in a different color, maybe a rosewood stain - a little darker than the factory oak.

The only question now - what to do with the IIIA. Sell them or hold on to them, on the possibility that we do an addition and I have a much larger room for them. Any tips on storage?

Edits: 03/15/16

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Signature Sound   [ Signature Sound Lounge ]

Topic - Made the downgrade from the MGIIIA to MMG today. - atkin11j@yahoo.com 16:50:16 03/15/16 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.