Home Planar Speaker Asylum

Welcome! Need support, you got it. Or share your ideas and experiences.

RE: Subwoofer crossover points with ESL57

Subs with built-in plate amps will have a low-pass crossover built in. Most of THOSE will be 24db/ octave.

I would also recommend, as a GENERAL RULE, to ALSO restrict the lows TO the panels. Set the crossovers maybe 10 to 15 hz apart, so there is both minimal overlap AND you make an effort for flat response THRU the passband. This point depends on the natural roll-off frequency of the panels. Let the panels handle the overtones from the bass. I've found panels and cone drivers to produce 'mush' thru the passband and above, due to phase problems maybe. My system with the above system is very musical.

If you are a COMPLETE DIY guy, willing to go thru some trouble, something like the MiniDSP might come in handy. On the mini? Each input channel and each OUTPUT channel will include 5 bands of parametric EQ. So it might be possible to 'notch out' an annoying room node? Using the 2x8 would also set you up for a later Biamp path.
This is MY next step.
Too much is never enough

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Western Glow Tube Service  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: Subwoofer crossover points with ESL57 - pictureguy 11:27:00 03/07/16 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.