Home Planar Speaker Asylum

Welcome! Need support, you got it. Or share your ideas and experiences.

RE: Agree

Thanks Satie and appreciate your comments about the set up. With the REL G2's and the 3.7i's I have the crossover set at 39hz with the volume on the subs set at 9 (which is pretty low) using the neutrik speaker connector. It took a lot of patience and I've tried all kinds of crossover frequencies and at those settings the sound really locked in. Even 1 click either way on the crossover and the magic is diminished.

With the Maggies and REL's dialed in and in my room, the bass is seamless and natural and really creates some rich transients further up in the frequency spectrum. Plus I've sort of become a subsonic sound junkie and really enjoy the feel of deep bass as well as the power and textures of tympanis, organ, and double bass. At this point I'd have a hard time living without those subs!

Once I get the R20's back I'll play around with clamping them on my amp stands. I had them sitting on giant brass footers up on 4" maple plinths with brass weights on top and that seemed to work pretty good. They are quite different looking than 50lb or 100b tube mono blocks, being sort of small and light. Gotta admit I love the look of big meaty high power tube mono blocks all lit up while making beautiful music and the R20's are pretty spartan in appearance. Maybe I could glue some old tubes and Christmas lights to the top of the amp boxes so at least in my shallow mind, they could still look cool!

I had the TDSS upgrade done by Bob Smith before I had to send one of them back for repairs and during my much too brief 1/2 hour audition before one amp crapped out, the sound was really special. When I think back to those 30 minutes when everything was working, this is how I described it to Bob; "all I wanted to do was listen and let myself be absorbed by the music. Every note was suspended in the air, time slowed down, the extensions when Sinatra grabbed a high note were almost frightening in their dynamics, the textures of strings, drum skins, brass horns, you name it were all vividly real." Can't wait to get them back......

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Signature Sound   [ Signature Sound Lounge ]

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: Agree - tedtag 11:07:03 02/09/16 (5)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.