Home Planar Speaker Asylum

Welcome! Need support, you got it. Or share your ideas and experiences.

RE: RIbbons for ribbons

Davey, you said:

"Many people are using solid-core cable successfully. If it sounds terrible it's because of some other reason than skin effect. Inductance would need to be really high and/or a cable really long for a low-pass filter into the audio band to be created."

This is only true if the solid core is very thin. Thick stuff like used by Anti-cable for speaker cable is not thin. If you have read and/or accept the arguments in Allen's book then you would not make such a statement.

"A ten foot chunk of typical parallel cable (solid or stranded) has an inductance of probably 2-3uH total." Here, you make it clear that you don't think the typical solid core offers any benefit over stranded. Allen would disagree vehmently.

Allen's book makes it clear why stranded (without insulation of some kind) is bad. Again you contradict his book. That is fine if you don't agree with his theories or book I wasn't commenting on this.

I didn't put any words in your mouth, Davey. I took what you were claiming vs. what is in Allen's cable cookbook and by putting 2 and 2 together predicting what you would likely think about it. Your numbers don't take into account what is known about signal transmission theory...it is not just what's IN the wire it is also the field around the wire.

Allen advocated cables that were all either super thin solid core enameled wire or super thin ribbon and always silver. I have never heard a good copper cable that competes with good silver cables. I have had exact same constructions with the two different metals and it is always obviously silver that is superior for max information retrieval...despite the only about 6% greater electrical conductivity. His philosophy for speaker cables was the same, although you have to have a minimum size for current carrying purposes.

BTW, Allen's main speakers at home were Apogee Scintillas...ribbons for ribbons.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Parts Connexion  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.