Home Planar Speaker Asylum

Welcome! Need support, you got it. Or share your ideas and experiences.

RE: How many quads should I stack?

Although I hate to disagree with Kentaja, who did such a great job on my speakers and has given me excellent advice, here is a different perspective, based on my own (surely rather special) situation. I have Stax F83's, which in principle have decent bass down to 60 hz or so but with some resonance peaks around 80 hz. The bass has slam but not much bloom or pitch. But the killer was the following: Strangely for an ELS, the impedance goes down in the bass region instead of up, and my OTL amp can't deliver enough current and would distort, even at low levels. So I ended up getting a pair of subwoofers designed explicitly for ELS speakers, with a steep electronic crossover with (I think) the -3db point at 100 hz. (This was higher than I had originally thought, but was recommended by the manufacturer of the woofers and crossover.) Now I don't have to worry about overloading the speakers (panels or transformers), and have very satisfying tuneful bass, with what seems to me (and at least some experts) excellent integration between the subs and the main speakers. And actually getting the bass out of the panels (and amp) has, I think, improved the midrange too. (Is this possibly due partly to reduced doppler distortion?) My crossover goes between the preamp and the amplifiers, and I have a separate outboard amplifier for the woofers. Perhaps to get this to work one needs to be careful about the subs (mine are designed for electrostatics) and the crossover, but I am very happy at this point.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Atma-Sphere Music Systems, Inc.  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.