Home Planar Speaker Asylum

Welcome! Need support, you got it. Or share your ideas and experiences.

RE: RIbbons for ribbons

Listen to Davey if you want but I promise you will not get the most from your system. Flat ribbon cables deliver better sound stage and cleaner highs than I have heard with any wire based cable, except perhaps a construction like Nordost uses, with clearly separated and isolated small diameter solid cores (mostly air dielectric too...clever design). Many think that multistrand is about the worst option. Now for interconnects, where the wire doesn't need to be large at all (according to the late Allen Wright the thinner the better) , a thin wire can compete with a ribbon. However, even then the ribbon usually wins as the sound is again cleaner in the highs and better organized.

I suggest trying to get a hold of Allen Wright's cable cook book. He explains it in detail. Davey will try to tell you its bunk but there is solid theory around it, including the dielectric!

I had both of Allen's designs, the ribbon and wire interconnects. Both were good but the ribbon was clearly better with spatial organization and lack of "interstitial" noises that you don't even notice until they are gone. I found the same with the ribbon speaker cables.

A friend of mine tried my Goertz and found the sound to be less lively in the highs but really it had just cleaned up the highs. Everything was there just fine and organize but less "fizzy" sounding. Most of my friends have now switched over after comparing to their old wire cables.

Of course you can make your own as well, it is a bit tedious but I know guys in Holland doing this to great success for their Apogees. I say ribbons for ribbons but really I think ribbons for all speakers are superior.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Signature Sound   [ Signature Sound Lounge ]

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.