Home Planar Speaker Asylum

Welcome! Need support, you got it. Or share your ideas and experiences.

RE: Nothing? :)

My 2 cents on Maggies....

At less than four feet from the FW you get irritating comb filtering and need diffusion.

At more than five feet you start getting gradual softness in the dynamics but you gain oodles of sounstage depth. This trade-off continues as you get further and further out. The soundstage depth phenomenon is not free -- it comes at a cost. Tradeoffs.

At six or seven feet out diffusion and treatment of the FW adds increasingly less value and can even contribute more to the loss of dynamic snap.

Each of us tunes our planars to our preferences and room (for example windows on FW, require more space and treatment)

Oh, and to complicate it, the balance and tradeoffs differ by model. I suspect newer "i" models are being designed specifically to work better closer to the FW. The best sound regardless of cost award by JV at TAS at last year's AXPONA was given to 3.7i's within two feet of a heavily treated FW, and even closer to the SW. They sounded awesome. My theory is that Magnrpan is trying to make their speakers more spouse and home theater friendly.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Western Glow Tube Service  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: Nothing? :) - Swamis Cat 09:39:24 02/04/16 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.