Home Planar Speaker Asylum

Welcome! Need support, you got it. Or share your ideas and experiences.

RE: Acoustat MK-131s - Help Request

The 3D white plastic honeycomb IS the panel. They cannot be disassembled as far as I know, unlike some others like the Quads. Tell him not to try it! The screws in the white plastic hold the panel in the wood frame only, they have no effect on the panels operation.
Intermittent static can be caused by dirt or dust on the Mylar.
I agree with the others, swap interfaces and see if the problem follows. If so, the problem is the interface. If the problem stays with the speaker, it is the panels. Just unplugging and replugging in the wiring from the panel to the interface may correct a bad connection somewhere.
If it is the panels, you can try some compressed air and gentle vacuuming to remove any dirt or dust. Be sure to unplug the speaker for a day before doing this to discharge the bias current. Another option is to give the speaker the hair dryer treatment as described many times on this forum by E-Stat.
Even if you get them working again, I highly recommend having the interfaces refurbished. As mentioned, there are some people who specialize in this service. However, most any tech who works with high voltage circuits should be able to do it. There are not that many parts, just have him change/upgrade all caps, resistors, wiring and high voltage diodes. Insure the bias for each speaker is 5 to 6 KV. I had mine done locally in southern Ontario for $650 Canadian. Some of the best money I have ever spent on this hobby.
Accoustats are great speakers your friend should definitely get them working again. Good luck.

Edits: 02/04/16

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Parts Connexion  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.