Home Planar Speaker Asylum

Welcome! Need support, you got it. Or share your ideas and experiences.

RE: Run the stats full range?

That is the dilemma. Any type of crossover even a simple series cap will cause some loss in terms of transparency not so much in terms of coherence.

The question becomes does this slight loss of transparency, and it will be slight with a series cap, out weight the increase in terms of dynamics by removing the bottom octave from the main speakers? That is a personal call. For some the answer will be yes others might say no.

Pretty simple to try both ways. Start with letting the main speakers run FR. Then try a series cap in front of the amp. See which way you like best.

The value of the cap is a simple calculation you can find any number of on-line crossover calculators. You need to know the input impedance of the amp, crossover point and slope. A series cap will be a 6dB slope.

The value of the cap will be several hundred pF. Exotics like polystyrene or even Teflon won't cost much. Polystyrene of this kind of value is in the $10 range that is what I would start with. Once you have everything tweaked you can try a Teflon but that may be closer to $50.

I have tried both ways. For me using Quads I am happy letting the Quad run FR and blending in the sub. In my younger days when I was more of a head banger and was after maximum dynamic slam I rolled off the bottom of the Quad.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Crux Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: Run the stats full range? - kentaja 14:49:45 02/02/16 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.