Home Planar Speaker Asylum

Welcome! Need support, you got it. Or share your ideas and experiences.

RE: How many quads should I stack?

IME most stats just need some reinforcement of the last octave. Quads as an example have mid/upper bass as good as it gets. Why use a sub to cover the mid/upper bass region when all that is needed is the bottom octave?

Given that all that is needed is bottom octave I don't see any advantage to a dipole. Get a standard self-powered sub and cross it over around 40Hz. Let the main speakers run full range. If set-up properly the integration will be quite good. I have heard this type of set-up many times using any number of self-powered subs, some quite inexpensive some really expensive.

Integration is much more of an issue when one tries to crossover high, 100Hz as an example. Even the Gradient is far from seamless given its 115Hz crossover point. It crosses over much to high and being a dipole does not help IMO. And the Gradient is really not all that great in the bottom octave.

If one want even more energy from the main speakers a series cap in front of the amp to roll off the bottom octave is all that is required. No crossover is truly neutral, they all leave a thumb print, but a series cap will be the least offensive type of crossover. The Gradient crossover for the high pass filter is.......well it pretty much sucks and that is being kind.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  VH Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.