Home Planar Speaker Asylum

Welcome! Need support, you got it. Or share your ideas and experiences.

RE: my god; much respect for these Emotivas

I have a pair of XPA-1s and a pair of the amps that replaced the UPA-1 (the XPA-100). They certainly have the power and the quickness needed to drive either of my three series.

My issue with them compared to substantially higher priced amps I have auditioned is a slight glare in the crossover area which is most obvious in higher pitched female vocals when played at higher volume. An example is Rickie Lee Jones' vocals from her first album or Pop Pop. Once I heard how good some other amps were in comparison, it is hard now for me to ignore it (the outrageously more expensive PS audio BHK 300s had no glare at all for example)

I wish I could get the power and price of the Emotiva without the glare. I can reduce it a bit with the treble resistors, and excessive toe in, but again, I am just getting tradeoffs.

I realize the glare issue only applies to my system (source is the not at all euphonic Benchmark DAC2 HGc) and it only applies to my room and my ears, but i would be interested in any other ideas in how to address it.

Thoughts?

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Parts Connexion  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.