Home Planar Speaker Asylum

Welcome! Need support, you got it. Or share your ideas and experiences.

my god; much respect for these Emotivas

My day off today so I pulled my VTL 100s out of my lineup and placed a pair of UPA-1s in their place. Although I've owned the Emotiva UPA-1 (400w mono)for exactly a year and 1 week, this is the first time I've ran em through my 20s.

A great, great matchup with the XPA-1s on the bottom bass panels. The UPA-1s run the mid/tweeter sections. All four amps are fed out of a Marchand XM44 XO. Regarding the Marchand -I was initially concern about gain match up with the XPA-1s, and although it has independent gain controls, I found no need to make any adjustments. This combination is highly recommended IMHO for anyone starting a bi-amp system without having to take out a 2nd mortgage.

The UPA-1s keep up with the XPAs (hell -even quicker) with headroom to spare. In fact I had the system up and cruising along at 85db (that's up thar) without any signs of strain or exhaustion. The VTLs in all it's glory were also quick; but not this quick. The UPA-1s (btw-they're no longer manufactured)are more precise, and 'wrap around' the instruments a bit better. I was expecting sand-harshness but none forthcoming at this point. I'm currently listening to Pat Methany's cd "Question and answer" and his guitar notes simply dance in the air while the great Roy Haynes shreds his drum kit away.

In all fairness we are talking about 400 raw, high current wattage vs 100 tube watts (which btw also never once sounded strained) so it's not quite a fair comparison. I can only imagine what a Manley 400 watt tube would do in this setup.

On my next day off I'll try and make time to take a look at the VTL and see what's going on with her. In the meantime the Emotivas are fine where they are ;) .

Edits: 01/26/16

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  The Cable Cooker  

Topic - my god; much respect for these Emotivas - Green Lantern 18:08:34 01/26/16 (31)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.