Home Planar Speaker Asylum

Welcome! Need support, you got it. Or share your ideas and experiences.

RE: As neo has stated ...

anti-cables work well with Maggies - but all they are is a thin solid-core cable ... so it's easy to make your own.

Solid-core is the key for Maggies, IMO (instead of stranded cable) but if you have a high current amp, you are probably wanting enough copper cross-sectional area to be able to deliver this current. Which means multiple individually-insulated strands - ie. Litz wire, which you already have. :-))

You can combine the sonic benefit of solid-core with adequate current carrying capacity by using Cat5 or Cat6 cable - providing you select the solid-core variant. And with teflon insulation, like Belden 1585a, for ultimate SQ.

8x24g individually-insulated strands gives you 15g - which should be plenty enough for 12'. So use 1 Cat5/6 jacket for the '+' terminal and 1 jacket for the '-' terminal ... so 16 wires in all, per speaker.
Note: with these 16 wires, there are 3 ways to connect them up - each way has different 'C' and 'L' parameters:

#1 - just use 1 jacket to each binding post. This delivers the minimum capacitance - which your amp might like - but the maximum inductance ... so is the worst-sounding (low 'L' is what you want in a speaker cable).

#2 - use 2 pairs from each jacket for '+' and 2 pairs for '-'. This has higher capacitance than #1 ... but lower inductance, so it will sound better.

#3 - use the 8x coloured wires for '+' and the 8x striped wires for '-'. This has the highest capacitance of the 3 options ... but, as a result, the lowest inductance and therefore the highest SQ. So the only issue is ... will your amp be able to handle this amount of capacitance? For 12' cables, I would think this should not be a problem.

IMO/IME, these speaker cables sound fantastic ... their only drawback is that they are labour intensive! :-(( (Stripping the ends off 64 strands of wire to make 1 set of speaker cables! :-(( ) I use them in configuration #1 for long cable lengths to ancillary speakers (like, 50' long) and in configuration #3 for my Maggies (6' long).

And the low cost of the Cat5/Cat6 cable means that it costs very little to experiment. :-))

Good luck!

Andy

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Kimber Kable  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.