Home Planar Speaker Asylum

Welcome! Need support, you got it. Or share your ideas and experiences.

RE: My journey since my Maggie 3.6's...

Hey Satie,

I do really like the 5 series from Gallo. They never really took off in sales so they had quite a limited production range.

The tweeters don't have the resolution of the 3.5's, but they sound good enough. I believe I can hear 3-4 of the tweeters and 4-5 of the mids from my listening position. He could have easily cut off the top 1-1 1/2 feet and there likely wouldn't be any difference in sound...except less bass (all these little 4" woofers really add up!).

Speaking of bass, I've had 2 SA amps go out on me in the last month. My 1st of 3 went out on me while I still had the 3.5's. The 2nd played for a day or so then the right channel went out. The 3rd arrived with the left channel not working. I'm going to give one more SA amp a chance (they're warrantied so it's not costing me anything) and if it goes out on me then I'll either get a refund or get a new one and sell it on Audiogon or Ebay. The bass is actually pretty good by just using Omega Mikro Jumper ribbons, but the SA amp definitely provided more bass...whether it is better bass or not I'll have to listen to and compare to find out. I'd really rather not add subs to the situation so I hope the next SA amp will stay working and provide some nice clean bass...slightly more than I'm getting now.

I'm using a Magtech amplifier on them now and it's plenty of clean power to drive them to some pretty impressive levels! They do dominate the room though and I told myself after my Maggies (both my 1.6's and 3.6's) that I wouldn't own speakers that did that again. O well, as long as I'm getting good sound :) I don't have the space for 20x series in my living room and I don't plan on moving anytime soon so it looks like I'll be keeping the 5LS's for a while.

Best regards,
Jon

Here's a pic close to where their final resting spot is:

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Parts Connexion  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.