Home Planar Speaker Asylum

Welcome! Need support, you got it. Or share your ideas and experiences.

RE: Maybe a solution

WTF! It is nearly impossible to fry a speaker inductor with an audio amplifier. Also as Davey says, that 100 uF cap does not belong there. Also at first glance it makes no sense that you can get sound out of the woofer if the inductor is open. First thing, check the other speaker to see if it is was modified as well. Since the speakers are new, I would call Magnepan on Monday and ask to talk to Wendell. He does visit this forum on rare occasions so he can take a look at the picture. Give him the serial numbers so he can trace the sales history on these speakrs. It's very weird because while Magnepan takes the MMG back on their 30 day program, they should have tested it before re-sale. They still may make good on the warranty and even pay for shipping or at least send you a new inductor if you are up for DIY. Finally if you do go DIY think about by-passing the fuse - it really serves no purpose and as you can tell your tweeter is able to take a lot of abuse as it is being driven as low 350 hz without damage.

"Our head is round in order to allow our thoughts to change direction." Francis Picabia

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Atma-Sphere Music Systems, Inc.  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.