Home Planar Speaker Asylum

Welcome! Need support, you got it. Or share your ideas and experiences.

RE: Maybe a solution

Here is the official diagram from Magnepan:

Note that speaker 1 (Left) is wired differently than speaker 2 (right) but it would be quite easy to switch the blue and white connections. This would send the signal through the woofer without a LP filter and leave the tweeter unconnected with a very sharp bandpass @ 1000 hz.
As far as causing the amps to fart, I am not sure. The woofer is almost purely resistive so the impedance would be constant and independent of the frequency. The operative word is "almost" and it is possible that at some frequencies the impedance does drop causing an issue for some amps, especially integrated amps which are notorious for not being stable at low impedance. Normally the series inductor would raise the impedance at high frequencies and counter-act the drop. Another explanation might be that the DCR of the inductor (about 0.4 ohms) is just enough to keep some amps from crapping out and its loss is sorely missed.

"Our head is round in order to allow our thoughts to change direction." Francis Picabia

Edits: 01/21/16 01/21/16

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Amplified Parts  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.