Home Planar Speaker Asylum

Welcome! Need support, you got it. Or share your ideas and experiences.

RE: Yes there is a distance too far

My one point five cents...

I have two pairs of Maggies set up in different rooms around my empty nester house -- a pair of 3.7i,s and a thirty year old pair of IIIa's. I LOVE the soundstage and depth of speakers as far away from the front wall as possible. Unfortunately, regardless of the room or which speakers I use, I always find that the speakers lose "dynamic snap" and crispness as I move them out too far. In some rooms, I can extend them out to about 7 feet and still live with the results. In other rooms I find 6-5 feet is actually best considering the tradeoffs.

Every once in a while I get the itch for super soundstage and move them out to 8, 9, 10 or even 11 feet from the FW. The depth is intoxicating, but then I get more and more bothered at how comparatively dead the speakers sound. Then I move them back to 5-7 feet.

Limage doesn't quite work for my various rooms, they are probably too wide or two damped.

Just sharing my experience based upon my preferences for what little it is worth.... If I could get dynamic snap AND distance from the FW, I would do it immediately. I just can't seem to get the Best of both worlds.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Amplified Parts  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: Yes there is a distance too far - Swamis Cat 10:01:39 01/21/16 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.