Home Planar Speaker Asylum

Welcome! Need support, you got it. Or share your ideas and experiences.

Yes there is a distance too far

To me anyway. Moving the speakers out from the front wall works like this. Close in, the soundstage is flat, there is less detail the sound is "hashy" and the noise floor is higher. You'll notice this more in comparison, since as you move the speakers away from the front wall, the sound opens up and there is more clarity. The soundstage keeps getting deeper and maybe sounds better still, but beyond a certain point, images get too diffuse and lose body. In my room, this happens at about 6' from the front wall but I'm sure the effect changes with distance depending on the wall and room treatments behind the speakers.Try a recording with a solo singer centrally located between the speakers as that may be easier to hear.

You may like the effect of a huge soundstage, but considering the trade offs, after awhile, it seems un-natural to me. Also, this effect may be slightly less audible with some solid state equipment than with tubes.

Edits: 01/20/16

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Amplified Parts  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.