Home Planar Speaker Asylum

Welcome! Need support, you got it. Or share your ideas and experiences.

Magnepan 3.5 low end dropofft and some high end harmonics/dropoff

I have a pair of Maggie 3.5s and they need a bit of work.

I've use REW to generate signals which show off some slight resonances at different frequencies coming from the tweeters. I've tried using two different amps, and of course switching l/r but the sounds come back at slightly louder than normal sounds (80db) and seem to be around 20db below (just a guess) the primary sound. At the very high end the sound starts to roll off at about 18khz.

For those issues my answer appears to be to call up magnepan and get replacement units shipped, I replace and send them my cores. I love DIY so this sounds great.

On the lower end is a bit more of a concerning (to me) problem. My units show a drop-off starting around 70-80hz, 5-7db down by 60 and going through the floor after that. I am not expecting to have huge bass, but this is a bit much.

This is measured at seating position with a calibrated mic and REW to generate signals. No amount of moving the speakers around seems to fix the issue, my NFR645s do not show any drop-off at the low end, nor do a few other speakers, so I am fairly certain my mic is still up to snuff.

Not sure what could cause this on both speakers. There is no buzzing at all in the panel, the coils all seem to be firmly attached to the mylar when looking through the sock. So I'm at a bit of a loss as to what could cause this on both speakers. Could the capacitors be giving up the ghost in the external XO?

Any other ideas?

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Parts Connexion  

Topic - Magnepan 3.5 low end dropofft and some high end harmonics/dropoff - Scot 05:23:07 11/24/15 (15)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.