Home Planar Speaker Asylum

Welcome! Need support, you got it. Or share your ideas and experiences.

RE: I have a hunch.

I've never heard them pulled out too far, because I've never had a listening room large enough! In the rooms I've had, the farther the better.

Magnepan designs for an average room -- no way they can cover all eventualities -- which is why they suggest the DWM for large or bass-shy rooms. Conversely, he compared Tympanis in a small room to a trumpet in a telephone booth.

I don't know what your experience is, but with the MMG's it always seemed to me that the sense of depth was a compromise between the distance to the rear wall and the recording venue -- my brain seems to split the difference.

That being said (and forgive me if this is kind of disjointed -- tired and typing this in a train station) modern control rooms use a reflection-free zone, which is essentially equivalent to speakers that are far from the wall with lots of diffusion behind them, and they don't lose attack -- they tend to sound very clinical because they have a low Rt time, a drier acoustic than most home rooms have or should have. So what I'm wondering is whether the problem with moving the speakers out is that the room is too reverberant?

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Amplified Parts  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.