Home Planar Speaker Asylum

Welcome! Need support, you got it. Or share your ideas and experiences.

RE: Maggies across the map Tympani 1U, Mg 1.5, Mg1a (improved), .7, and X.7i

I'm not sure the problem is delaminating in heavy bass, more likely just excursion handing limits when the membrane hitts the magnets if you get harshness on the loudest bass passages. Maggies have a resonance to counteract the dipole cancellation in bass. But this means that the excursion can grow quite large if you feed it bass too low and too loud.

The 3.7i would greatly exceed the vintage Maggie's in midrange and treble for sure and all but the Timpani in bass.

The most expensive mistakes I've made is not spending enough: I realize right away I'm making undesirable compromises, and then trade and sell at a loss with needless time wasted.

I would go for the 3.7s, if you've never heard the true ribbon, you haven't lived. It's still state of the art in high frequency reproduction.

Next I would think about a sealed subwoofer if you can get great room correction and blending.

iVe had good success selling on USAudioMart.

Edits: 11/21/15

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Sonic Craft  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: Maggies across the map Tympani 1U, Mg 1.5, Mg1a (improved), .7, and X.7i - DrChaos 12:15:25 11/21/15 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.