Home Planar Speaker Asylum

Welcome! Need support, you got it. Or share your ideas and experiences.

Good Experience with FMODs

So, my system has gotten complicated, with LFT8Bs now driven by two pairs of mono amps - Canary CA-339s for the planar driver and Emotiva XPA-1s for the woofer. The low frequency amps are driven through MFX10V3 buffer/Goldpoint stepped attenuator box/MFX10V3 buffer. 500 Hz LP FMODs are used at the input of the XPA-1s.

Emotivas have a DB more gain than the Canary and the two tube buffers supply maybe 6 db of gain in total. FMODs have about 2-3 db loss. In the end I have a woofer level knob that allows for +3db/-12db control, which is nice to have with some material.

Why all this complexity? Well, the LFTs have a small but well audible flaw - the woofer has out of band junk in the 1 Khz range, which makes for a nasal coloration on some voices. 500Hz LP FMODs make this go away, so the speaker sounds really pristine through the entire frequency range. It sounds like FMODs are working well in this application.

As an aside, I have not listened to the XPA-1s full range, but the make a dynamite woofer amp. They also appear well built and VERY heavy - over 70 lbs each. Run very warm in Class A mode. Mechanically silent and pretty to look at, if you have the space. They are also "on spec" to the FMOD vague guidance that the rated frequency is achieved with 22K input.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Sonic Craft  

Topic - Good Experience with FMODs - Dimitry 11:56:09 11/19/15 (24)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.