Home Planar Speaker Asylum

Welcome! Need support, you got it. Or share your ideas and experiences.

RE: 1.6's used Vs. New MMGs

The MMG's are spectacular speakers, and not just "for the price". The 1.6's are more of the same, and would fill your room better. I would say go for the 1.6's in a heartbeat, but...

Do you know how old the 1.6's are? They were introduced in '98, so you'll want to make sure that they're healthy- no bass wire delamination issues. This can easily be discerned by demo-ing them with some low frequency test tones, by shining a bright flashlight through the fabric to inspect for loose wires (they usually start at the top/ bottom when they go), and by simply feeling for them.

Don't be scared if you do run into this little bump in the road. If you're even remotely a DIY type person, look at it as an opportunity to get a little discount on the speakers. It's easily fixed, permanently, with a bit of DAP, and the process is well documented here on A.A.

Hopefully, the 1.6'are fine for now, and you can run them for a long while as-is. It depends on when they were built.

So, yeah, I'd still go with the 1.6's in a heartbeat for your size of room. You just need to demo them, and be prepared.

Best,

Cory

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Michael Percy Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: 1.6's used Vs. New MMGs - Cory M. 16:04:13 11/18/15 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.