Home Planar Speaker Asylum

Welcome! Need support, you got it. Or share your ideas and experiences.

RE: I separated the functions; music is too important to me

I don't have room for a separate theater/listening room plus I fell in love with having a good sound system for video back when I had my 1-D's hooked up to VHS hi fi and a 25" XBR. I was working in motion picture audio post then and the sound I was hearing at home totally blew away what I was hearing in the studio -- the 1-D's had plenty of slam and bass and the realism of planars. A compelling combination,

Anyway when I moved to this place I put in a projector, couldn't use my 1-D's in the little room so ended up using a pair of MMG's I'd bought for my home office (this being the days before Mini Maggies). I found I was able to set them up tweeters in and maintain the standard +/-30 degree front speaker angles while maintaining adequate sigbte lines to a 114" screen, which is the largest I could go given the limited throw length in the room. So I couldn't accommodate an entire audience but one or two people could watch the movie fine and on occasions when I had friends over we managed somehow, you can always move MMG's if you have to!

Which is to say for my setup I don't really have to make a sonic compromise and since the screen is movable I can always use diffusors, just not at the same time as I watch a movie.

However, when I had that arrangement I discovered that I loved to surf on the projector while I was listening, I could read the Wikipedia entry on the music I was listening to or whatever. And it occurred to me that there was really no reason I couldn't do most of my computing in the listening room with the big speakers and the projector.

But if I'm going to do that, it would be nice to have the diffusion and the screen at the same time.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  VH Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.